Friday, May 14, 2010

An April Fool

Why blog anyway? Why do I feel a little guilty when I don't blog? It's really Mark Brown's fault. He started his smart, funny, interesting blog a couple of years ago, and I found myself thinking (as I so often do), "I want to be like Mark." So I made a blog.

Then I didn't even really post anything in my blog for something like a year. I put up a picture of my cutie pie, Catie Pie, but that was it.

Then, as I approached summer a couple of years ago, without the prospect of teaching (which I'd done EVERY summer for like 5 or 6 years), I found myself wanted to wax poetrical or whatever every so often. It was a way to start my day, to mouth off, to make hay, to say hey, to make a little scene on the side of the information superhighway (or whatever we're calling it lately). AND, a couple of people I really like started reading and posting responses. Not a bad way to spent a part of the day.

Trouble is, of course, that teaching 5 or 6 classes REALLY gets in the way of regular blogging. For me anyway. (One Pat Murphy, and one Mark Brown seem to do okay at doing that, though.) So I just do my best-ish, and move ahead. Onward and upward, as best we can, right?

Anyway, I didn't post a single thingle in April. Hence the title of this re-entry into regular blogging. I missed a WHOLE month. Sheesh.

Good thing Pat Murphy did better. Head over there and read about the life of an academic in upstate NY.

More soon.

No comments: