Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I memorized a poem today

My son has been working on memorizing a poem for his English class. This morning he told me that he's worried that he's not quite ready to recite it. Rather than let him stay home to work on it, we played a kind of game through the morning. I read and recited bits of the poem, and asked him to prompt me for the next parts as they came along. He was kind of an unwilling participant in the game (he really wanted to stay home and avoid the whole situation), but toward the end, I think he was getting it. Both the responsibility part and the poem.

Here (on my honor) is my "recitation" of the poem:

A narrow fellow in the grass
Occasionally rides.
You may have met him.. [...]


The grass divides as with a comb,
A spotted shaft is seen,
And then it closes at my feet
And opens further on.

He likes a bogey acre,
A floor too cool for corn.     [my favorite line]
When a child, and barefoot, 
I more than once at morn,

Have passed, I thought, a whiplash
Unbraiding in the sun.
Then stooping to [...]
It wrinkles and is gone

Several of nature's people,
I have know, and they know me
I feel for them a transport
Of cordiality.

But never met this fellow
Accompanied or alone,
Without a tighter breathing,
And zero at the bone.     [my second favorite line]

Okay. Now looking back at the text, I see several mistakes (in addition to the obvious lapses (which I indicated with ellipses)). So... maybe I didn't fully memorize a poem today,

but I hope my son did.


3 comments:

Clint Carter said...

One bright day in the middle of the night.
Two dead men got up to fight.
Back to back they faced each other,
drew their swords and shot each other.
The deaf policeman heard the noise and went and shot those two dead boys.
If you don't believe this lie is true, just ask the blind man, he saw it too.

Unknown said...

nice. I think I could do that one from memory too. :)

Unknown said...

Out of the shade and in the heat
Off your butt and on your feet

-My Grandpa